Boost Your YouTube Marketing Strategy with Google Analytics
Is video a big part of your digital marketing strategy? If so, YouTube is likely an integral part of that strategy and you’re most likely promoting your videos on various digital platforms like AdWords. In such a case, it’s important to track where hits are coming from and which channels of traffic are converting. YouTube Analytics only provides data on people who have engaged with your content on YouTube but not those who have visited your website and taken a meaningful action. This is where Google Analytics comes in.
Google Analytics provides data on traffic from your YouTube account to your website. Integrating your YouTube account with Google Analytics will provide you with higher level data, similar to the web analytics data you get on Google Analytics. You would be able to track exactly where your traffic is coming from, paid or organic; and useful audience behaviours like bounce rate, time on page, demographics (geography and device), returning vs. new users, average number of pages viewed, and more. These metrics equip you with the necessary insight to optimize your digital marketing strategy.
Ready to Integrate Your YouTube Account with Google Analytics?
Follow these easy steps to start tracking:
- Access Google Analytics and sign in. (Register for Google Analytics if you don’t have an account.)
- Click on the Admin tab (located at the top center of the home page).
- Once on the admin page, open the Property drop-down menu (the middle column).
- Click on the “Create new property” option at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- Fill out the form fields.
- Enter your YouTube channel’s URL (ex: youtube.com/drivetraffic) in the “Website URL” field.
- Click on the “Get Tracking ID” button.
- Copy the tracking ID that is displayed at the top of the page. It will have the following format: UA-XXXXXXX-1
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Go to your Account Settings page (by clicking on your channel icon).
- From the Settings Overview page, click on the “View Additional Features” link.
- In the Channel Settings section, select the Advanced option (menu on the left side of the screen).
- Paste the Google Analytics Tracking ID into the corresponding field at the bottom of the page.
And you’re all set up! Give it between 24-48 hours for Google Analytics to start reporting your channel’s data.